These days, who doesn´t have something in their home from Ikea. Perhaps you have the Billy Bookcase or the Kallax divider in your home, or in your kitchen you drink your coffee from the 365+ line. Over the years Ikea has become a household name as they produce solid products that do not cost a lot of money.
On the other hand with low cost often also comes monotone. However you can upgrade any Ikea design with a little bit of creativity. It gives you something unique and creates a smile on your face whenever you see it.
Over the next couple of lines, I will explain to you how to make your own unique set of dishes for your home. It all started when I was looking for a fun and original gift fur my husband that I could make together with the kids. this was actually very fun and easy to do.
- Basic cheap cups or plates
- Sharpies in a range of colors
- Stencil - sticky stencils are in this case the easiest
- Cleaning solvent
Before starting with the little project, it is best to make sure the surface is clean (free of any grease and so on). And then it is all up to you. You can freewheel and start drawing without having anything particular in mind, you can write a text or your favorite quote. I like to work with stencils so you can create some kind of uniformity.
Preheat your oven to 150 degrees. Sharpies will stay on your dishes when dried, however if you want to put them in the dishwasher it is better to finish them off by putting them in the oven. I have put them in the oven on 170 degrees Celsius for around 45 minutes. However I feel the best way to handle them is by washing them by hand.
- Sticky stencils also make it easier if you want to do this with little children. That way they only have to color in the figurine
- When working with the stencil also let it try a little bit before removing the stencil
- Of course, using Ikea is not a given. You can use any basic set of dishes
- You can make this for yourself but it is also a nice gift for mothers day or as a birthday present